Hi everyone! How are things going in your own little corner of the world? It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Here’s what’s up with us!
Family News and Updates
In August, we moved K to her internship, where she is learning the valuable lesson of living on low intern wages. Still, she’s living her dream and we are happy for her. She’s hoping to head to law school next fall, which is a field many Aspies excel in.
My husband and our overgrown Yorkie are puttering along and doing fine. As for me, I have some health related news that is adding to the focus of this blog. (I’ll elaborate in a moment.)
I am excited to announce I have two articles in the newest (November 2018- January 2019) edition of Autism Asperger’s Digest! One introduces you to a minor league baseball organization that has a ground breaking way of encouraging families with autism and/or Sensory Processing Disorder to take part in a night at the ballpark. It’s a team piece, with a beautiful piece from Marla Roth-Fisch preceding it. Her article discusses major league sporting venues (finally!) recognizing Sensory Processing Disorder. My other article provides you with tips when thinking about your Aspie and college. You can grab a copy of the magazine HERE at AutismDigest.com.
As for book work, I still have a few manuscripts under submission. I am currently working on a third, but this one will be pure fiction and a departure from the ASD related writing I’ve published in the past. I’m quite excited to finish it up and tell you more about it when the time is right!
Speaking of books, my publisher, Future Horizons, has revamped their entire website and it is rather stunning! You can check it out HERE. During the revamp, links to books and other products have been updated. If you are interested in buying Asperger’s in Pink, you can now find it via THIS LINK.
Personal News and the Evolution of this Blog
When you go through personal hurdles be it health, emotional, or otherwise, it’s wise and good to rethink things. For me, one of those things is this blog. In short, the blog is evolving.
There are themes I like to write about and ASD is only one of them.
I’ve had a rather curious past few months. Back in May my doctor put me on a new diet, which has meant some major changes in my personal life. So, what does this have to do with Asperger’s? I’ve always been a proponent that we special needs parents need to take care of our own health as doing so will equip us to best take care of our families. So, when I found myself gaining weight no matter what, I felt (on the surface) I looked like a hypocrite. But the thing was I was doing all the “right” things with backwards results. I’m not going to engulf you with all the nitty gritty details right now. However, I bring this up to let you know I will be blogging about this experience alongside Asperger’s and a few other topics.
What does this mean for you?
Expect ASD post to remain in the mix. If you come here for Asperger’s, autism, and SPD only, and prefer to skip the other posts, simply go to the BLOG tab, drop it down and select that category. Easy, right?
Are you curious about the other topics being added to the blog? Read on!
One will be the way of eating my doc introduced me to, as well as general health and wellness type topics. To be clear this merits a disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, so take what I write as opinion, personal experience, only. As special needs caregivers, you may well find some of these posts to be of interest to you. My hope is to interview fellow autism moms and dads, and share their stories regarding parenting and health here, too. We’ll see…
What’s this mystery diet, you ask? My doctor has me on a low carb, high fat diet also known as keto. Or as my sister calls it: “that weird, strange diet of yours.” (Yes, it’s controversial, but for some of us it’s the only thing that’s working.) So, yes, expect some keto chatter from time to time.
At the moment, blog topics (subsections) will likely include some variation of:
- “Asperger’s, Autism, SPD” – the usual 🙂
- “Pursuing a Healthy Life”: Low carb, high fat/keto, health and general wellness. Wellness also includes self-care topics.
- “Writer Under Construction” – As a writer and published author, I’m often asked how to become an author, what it’s like to be a writer, and more. There are many therapists, moms, dads, and Aspies looking to share their own stories, and if this includes you I hope these pieces will be of benefit to you! This will be a mix of tips, FAQs, resources, and personal anecdotes.
- “Short Stories” – Flash fiction and other pieces. In other words, free stories! It’s a place for me to play with words in a new sandbox and see if you like them. 🙂
- “Off-road Rambles” (not set with the tab name for this yet) – This section is the most personal section of this entire website. It will not be for everyone, and will likely cause some discomfort. Skip it if you want to avoid peering into the rabbit hole. TL;DR I’m an ex “fundagelical” (fundamental Evangelical) and am choosing to discuss what is quite an emotional, deep topic. Religious Trauma Syndrome is real and quite corrosive.
Note: All comments are heavily moderated. Ahem.
That about covers it and gets you up to speed. Is there a topic you’d like to see more of that is not covered here? Or a specific topic you have questions about? Write a comment below and I will take it into consideration.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
All my best,